Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday, July 16th


I have a newer look, the radiation has done a pretty good number on my hair. The shower drain is covered every day. The radiation technicians tell me this just means what they are doing is working. I still say it's just hair, and not that big a deal, but if you see me away from home, you can be sure I'll be wearing a hat!
The radiation treatments are going well, and other than being a little more tired than normal in the late afternoon, I haven't experienced any major side effects. The chemo pills I take every night are not causing any problems, either. I have an MRI scheduled for next Thursday that will not be used as a diagnostic image, just one to be used to fine tune the last 14 radiation treatments which will be boosted from the first 20. I am continuing to work from home a part of each day, and even negotiated a couple of really good deals for Genencor this week. I'm still enjoying my milkshakes about every other day. I tried a chocolate shake from Whitey's yesterday, but I'm withholding a rating until I try another from their other location in Iowa City. I don't want to make any rash judgments, you know. It seems strange to me that I get my brain fried for 15 - 20 minutes, then drink a shake and get brain freeze, and the combination actually makes me feel better - someone told me it's the protein that helps.
I've spent 15 - 20 hours each of the past few weeks either on hold with Blue Cross or CVS/Caremark (Danisco's prescription drug provider) or waiting for a doctor or pharmacy to hear back from one of them. There's a huge mountain of red tape, paperwork and bureaucracy that has to be worked through, and no one ready to let you know what questions you need to ask or even who to ask so it's frustrating and stressful. However, in the end everything has worked out okay. I got my first shipment of chemo pills via UPS today. Amazing, several thousand dollars worth of pills, and the driver rang the doorbell, left the package between the screen door and the front door, ran back to his truck and drove away, but I did get the pills. So far the only thing the insurance doesn't want to cover is my ambulance ride from St. Luke's Hospital in Cedar Rapids to the Emergency Room at The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The reason given was they don't cover non-emergency services. I have filed a written appeal - we'll see what they say.
Thanks again for all your cards, comments, prayers, well wishes and emails. I enjoy all of them.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Paul. I sometimes wonder why the hair loss is such a big deal. We try to say it is only hair, but like you said, you'll be wearing a hat. It is a big deal, I think because it is what we can see of the illness. We can't see the mass on your brain. We can try to pretend that it isn't really there. But we can see the loss of hair. It is real. It makes it all so real.
    I would hate to be dealing with the insurance companies! That stuff is so intimidating to me when there is no real protocol in place. Yuck.
    Amazing about your pills being left in the door like a new pair of shoes (Ummm, not that I have ordered shoes...well, maybe just once...or twice).
    You, Paul, are quite a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a John Deere hat in your future...maybe even an Illini hat!

    ReplyDelete