Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thursday, July 2nd

Yesterday's visit with the doctor was uneventful. No problems or issues to report, but we really didn't expect any yet. Fatigue hasn't started kicking in and I still have my hair (but I expect to lose it in patches). The next time you see me, I may have a buzz cut.
I got an unexpected surprise from my friends at Genencor yesterday. They are paying a lawn service to mow and trim my lawn for the rest of the summer! Of course, I would have said no if they had asked, but what a great gift! I don't trust myself to keep my feet out from under the mower. Plus, Carole had one of her ankles fused last Fall which means it doesn't bend at all, and she can't safely push a mower either. I am continually amazed at everyone's support and friendship. You're all special people.
I love reading your comments, but I can't believe you want to read my notes. They aren't very exciting. Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and well wishes.
I'm checking my work email daily. It's actually therapeutic for me to pay attention to work, plus the doctor keeps suggesting that I stay as active as possible.
Today's frustration is with Caremark, our prescription drug provider. My chemo doctor has prescribed an anti-nausea pill to be taken every day before I take my chemo medicine (7 days per week). I didn't know it until yesterday, but Caremark only would allow the U of I Hospital Pharmacy to give me 9 pills for 25 days, those first 9 will be gone this Saturday. After that, my doctor and I have to fill out paperwork and request that they send me the rest of the prescription in the mail. Trouble is, I didn't know until yesterday that I couldn't get a refill without all the extra work, and there's not enough time for Caremark to get me more pills until next week which isn't soon enough. You guys know me, I just love it when somebody tells me they can' t do something because of our contract.
In the end, it will all work out okay, I can buy 9 more pills myself from the pharmacy - only about $25 - and the doctor will fill out paperwork telling Caremark why I need them. With any luck, I'll get reimbursed, but if not, it's just $25. I have to be careful not to complain too much, Caremark is covering my expensive chemo drugs very well.
By the way, Carole and I stopped at McDonald's and grabbed a hot fudge sundae on the way home from yesterday's treatment. Just me, not Carole. She's still being good. The sundae was just okay - definitely not up to DQ's standards. Not surprisingly, my weight was up again yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your Genecore friends hit a home run with the lawn care. They must really care about you. But then again, you and Carole are loved by many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul it is so good to hear how you are doing. We are constantly thinking about you and the family. We are icecream lovers here also so we'll need to bring you some:)

    Thinking about you,
    Aaron, Stephanie, Madeline, and Dale Nuss

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice gesture from your collegues, they must like you a lot...What are DQ's standards?

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete