Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday, July 31st

The radiation "boost" started today, and I have to say, there didn't seem to be much change from before. I only have 8 more radiation treatments to go! Fridays are my normal day for the nurses to check my blood pressure (up a touch this week), temperature (normal) and my weight (up 2 lbs.; thanks, chocolate malts). After those pleasantries, we met with my radiation oncologist, Dr. Smith. He didn't say anything about the blood pressure or my weight, so I'm working on the assumption that neither is a problem. Dr. Smith seems more interested that I still have a healthy appetite, and that I am not losing weight. He checked my scalp (and the scar from the biopsy) and said everything looked good -two thumbs up, I guess. He didn't even review this week's blood work with me, and I didn't get a call from my chemo oncologist which is a good indication all the counts are within the normal levels. I'm still feeling pretty well, the only time I really get tired is the middle of each afternoon, when I usually nap for about an hour. No other significant side-effects except for the major hair loss from the radiation. I'll be getting another haircut on Sunday afternoon.
On the way home from last Wednesday's treatment, Carole and I stopped at Red Robin, so I could try one of their chocolate malts. I liked getting all the extras in the ice cold stainless steel cup (something I didn't get, but expected from Steak & Shake). The "malt" flavor seemed to be missing something, so I've decided it ended up not being in my top 5. To eat, I ordered their Royal Red Robin Burger (the one with a fried egg on top) which was excellent, and I would recommend as long as you like eggs.
It turns out I made a big mistake a couple of days ago when I mentioned that I had not sorted through my drawers yet. It seems Carole had forgotten about it, and the reminder means I have a job this weekend. I can't wait!
Carole got out golfing yesterday afternoon, and she's playing in the Linn-Mar Foundation Outing today. To be safe, I think I won't talk about how she feels about her game (she did have a couple of pars yesterday). At least her ankle and hip seem to be holding up okay.
We don't have any travel plans this weekend. I think I still need to recover from last weekend's trip to Chicago. However, we're looking forward to going to dinner on Saturday evening with some good friends. Is it me, or does my life revolve around food?
I hope you are all doing well!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Carole got out for a bit of golf! And Paul, why in the world did you mention the drawers to that woman? I don't feel a bit sorry for you. You almost squeaked by the drawer duty, but you blew it, bub. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A way to fix the "malt" taste is to ask for extra malt powder! I've pulled that one at Steak n Shake a few times in my past, and it was quite delicious! Good luck with the drawers! HA!

    ReplyDelete