Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday, August 7th

This will just be a quick update. Carole and I met with Dr. Smith, my radiation oncologist today. My blood pressure was up a little, as was my weight (up about 8 lbs since I started radiation and chemo). Obviously, those things haven't had a negative effect on my appetite. All of my blood counts are within normal levels, and I continue to be tired every afternoon, but I feel pretty well overall. I know my balance and motor skills are better now than they were before the treatments started. Starting tomorrow we're going to cut back on decadron (the steroid I've been taking to reduce brain swelling caused by the radiation). I'm hoping that change will help me sleep better through the night and suppress my appetite a little bit. I have completed 31 radiation treatments, with just 3 to go. After next Wednesday, I'll get a month off from both the radiation treatments and the chemo capsules I've been taking every night.

No chocolate malt today - the pants keep getting tighter. I did, however, get a good sandwich from Jimmy John's. It was way better than the Weight Watchers meals I used to eat every day for lunch.

Yesterday afternoon, Andy and Tory came up and helped do some work around the house, then they went to school and helped Carole start getting her room ready for the start of the new year. In the middle of it all, Tory took Carole for a massage. They both came back saying they felt much more relaxed. During that time, Andy stayed here and trimmed some bushes, touched up some spots that needed painting and a few other odds and ends while I napped. Tough life for me, huh?

Today was a rainy day in Iowa, so Carole went to a movie with a friend while I napped for a while. We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Lindholms, our old neighbors from down the street and friends from Finland. They should be here on Sunday afternoon. I know we have a lot of news to catch up on.

1 comment:

  1. Paul, Thank you for keeping us all updated. I finally signed in as a member, but I have been checking it whenever you write. Sorry that I brought you a shake instead of a malt. I knew better! I personally think you should keep drinking the malts and just buy bigger pants!

    Please let us know what we can do. Brian and Drew can certainly do yard stuff and I can put up some fabulous bulletin boards!

    Take care! Tina

    ReplyDelete